SpiritWorks’ supporters know that recovery flourishes in communities that build recovery capital—the psychological, physical, and social environment where healing can occur. Funders, donors, and volunteers support SpiritWorks with their time, talent, and finances because they have seen our methods transform lives.
The need for recovery support services is great. In 2008 (the most recent year for which statistics are available):
- 23.1 million persons aged 12 or older needed treatment for an illicit drug or alcohol use problem, but
only 2.3 million people received treatment.
- 20.8 million persons needed treatment for an illicit drug or alcohol use problem, but did not receive treatment at a specialty substance abuse facility.
- 2.5 million people with serious mental illness were dependent on or abused illicit drugs or alcohol.
- 19 million children live in alcoholic homes.
- 28.6 million children live in homes with alcohol or other drug dependency.
- Children of alcoholics and addicts are at greater risk for teen pregnancy, learning disorders, juvenile delinquency, suicide, eating disorders, compulsive behavior and addiction.
- 66% of the homeless population report substance abuse and/or mental health problems
“Recovery is a life long endeavor but treatment programs end.”—Cathy Nugent from Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, SAMHSA
Your grant to SpiritWorks will leverage significant outcomes. Consider, for example, that up to 85% of incarcerated individuals have problems directly associated with drugs or alcohol abuse or committed crimes associated with alcohol and other drugs. It costs $35,000 or more to incarcerate someone for one year with no recovery services. For a fraction of that expenditure, SpiritWorks is currently providing recovery support services to more than 25 ex-offenders who have not returned to jail or prison. They are seeking employment or holding jobs, returning to school, restoring their lives, reuniting with families, and giving back to their communities.
Please contact executive director Jan Brown at email@example.com or (757) 564-0001 for more examples of our successful methods and outcomes. We’re eager to discuss ways we can foster recovery together, one community at a time.
With your help we can positively affect the lives of individuals, their children, parents and grandparents who are all touched by alcoholism and addiction. Help us help families break the cycle! Your donations fund SpiritWorks Recovery Support Services and programs for Children and Youth.
Please consider a donation today—your online donation via JustGive.org is safe and will provide a printable receipt for your files. JustGive collects 3& of the donation amount to cover the transaction.
If you prefer to write a check, please send it to
5800 Mooretown Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Thank you for your support!
SpiritWorks relies on its volunteers to help with children’s programs, greeting visitors and answering phones. Volunteers beautify the grounds and help with fund raising events and exhibits. If you’re interested in helping out, please give us a call. Ask us what the current needs are, and arrange to complete a volunteer application.
“The satisfaction and joy you derive from rendering selfless service to someone in need is immense and everlasting.”—Pandit Rajmani Tigunait